Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Fare ye well Ankeny Wildlife Refuge

Steve and I wanted to go hiking so we bought a book our friend Nate recommended.

"100 Hikes in Central Oregon Cascades" by William L. Sullivan














Steve decided we should go to the closest place that we had never been to before. *drumroll* ANKENY WILDLIFE REFUGE!! was the winner. I agreed since I hadn't read much about it other than that it had a really cool looking boardwalk.

What I didn't read was this line in the Fish & Wildlife Service website, "Ankeny NWR also provides habitat for a wide variety of birds, mammals, reptiles and amphibians." Emphasis my own. Yeah... reptiles... meaning snakes! Everywhere!! Granted they were only common garter snakes, but that was enough to send me over the edge screaming, crying, and making Steve carry me the last .5 mile to the gravel trail. I walk the last .12 miles to the car. :) That day, Steve learned what I really meant when I said I was "scared" of snakes.

Monday came and Steve told the women at his work about our adventure. Thankfully, I had a lot of sympathizers. Someone told Steve that the local newspaper had just written an article about the unusual amount of snakes in the Ankeny Wildlife Refuge. Why didn't they tell us on Friday instead of Sunday?!? I looked for the article, but couldn't find it. I guess we have red-striped and yellow-striped garter snakes. They would be pretty if I didn't have a deathly fear of even looking at snakes. So, I'm going to scratch Ankeny Wildlife Refuge off of my list as "Been there. Done that." with no desire to ever go back. :) I'll try to post a video and some pictures of the frogs we saw.

No comments: