Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Completed: March Hobby - Knitting

After nine years of on-and-off knitting, the scarf I began on New Year's Eve 2000 is finally complete! I learned how to bind & tie off the last row of stitches. Wow! It feels so rewarding! I love crafts that are practical and useful.


--How To Knit: Binding Off--
"Pull what over huh and through where?
"

My April hobby, beachcombing, is already under way. The coast was a little stormy, which made for some better "rock hounding", as it is called. I thought I could use what I find on the beach in my June hobby, making jewelry, but I'm starting to lean towards buying what I need from a store instead. *sigh* Starting out, I knew this hobby stuff wouldn't be cheap, but I'm learning about myself and I'm learning some new skills. In the end, I believe it will be worth it.



I collected a few agates along with some other pretty rocks from the beach at low-tide. I don't have a rock tumbler, so the polishing has been rough, to say the least. Steve and I tried polishing them with different grades of sandpaper. Supposedly, if you begin with a rough sandpaper and work your way up to the finer grades, it is supposed to bring them to a glossy shine.



I'm seriously doubting that since we spent almost a half hour grinding away at a few stones with very little success! :) I've been looking around Salem and the surrounding communities to see if anyone has a rock tumbler they are willing to share, but I've found nothing.

Anyone have any tips??

Finally, Steve and I went for a walk the other day. All of the trees and bushes are starting to bloom. Steve shot some beautiful photos. I can't wait for my parents to get here in a little over a week! This is one of Steve's favorites from that day:



Hope you're having a wonderful week!

~Steve & Kari~

No comments: