Friday, July 15, 2011

Why She Loves Laundry...

Most people I know look at me with distaste when I tell them I love doing laundry. I've tried to capture a few of the reasons why.

Running the dryer in our small apartment generates way too much heat.
Hanging laundry on a line not only saves us money, it's sentimental.

I remember watching my mom hang the laundry, and the many tents she made for us in the summer with flat sheets and clothes pins. Some of my favorite childhood memories!

I sometimes light some of my favorite incense to create an inviting atmosphere.

I don't have to worry about a flame and it doesn't create any extra heat.

My bathroom is one of the prettiest rooms in the house. I love the orchid my neighbor gave me. I've never kept an orchid before. It's been a fascinating experience.

The joy is in the details.
Any chore becomes easier when you're surrounded by things you like.

The largest art in my bathroom is this framed photo of a dog on a beach. It totally reminds me of my black lab I had to put to sleep years ago. He never got to see the ocean, but I like to think he's happier now. **I choose to ignore all the theologians and philosophers who declare that animals won't be in heaven.** =)

There is one part of laundry I hate. Stains. The best way I've found to deal with stains is a good sense of humor and some elbow grease.

"Now they show you how detergents take out bloodstains, a pretty violent image there. I think if you've got a t-shirt with a bloodstain all over it, maybe laundry isn't your biggest problem. Maybe you should get rid of the body before you do the wash." - Jerry Seinfeld

No comments: