Thursday, June 24, 2010

Peppers Galore

Tasty meatloaf. Twice-baked mashed potatoes.

These are just a few of the things we've made with our abundance of peppers. Last week, we bought a bunch of produce for our photography class. We were practicing lighting techniques, and peppers have some very interesting aspects.

We had a bunch of peppers we needed to use up because of that assignment. So! Here are the recipes for our amazing dinner last night:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Brown-Sugar-Meatloaf/Detail.aspx

For this recipe, I made a few changes. I added a bunch of red peppers, for starters. I didn't have any brown sugar, so I used a little white sugar in place of it. I added a little of it to the meat, rather than all in the glaze. I also added Lipton's dry onion soup mix in place of the onion. Since there is so much salt in the soup mix, I didn't add what the recipe calls for. I also added a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce to the meat mixture. Patting the meatloaf into a casserole dish, rather than a loaf pan, made it much easier to drain off the fat a couple times throughout the baking process. I mixed 3/4 of the sugar with the ketchup and added some Worcestershire sauce to that as well. I then placed the glaze on top of the meat. I covered it with tinfoil for the first 30 minutes of baking and then baked it uncovered the rest of the time. I found that baking the meatloaf for a little over an hour helped to cook off some of the extra fat, but kept the meatloaf very moist. The ginger is delicious too! Don't skip it! ;)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Twice-Baked-Mashed-Potatoes/Detail.aspx

These mashed potatoes were amazing! I admit that I cheated... I used mashed potatoes from a box. Don't be too disappointed in me! ;) I used the butter from the recipe to saute the red peppers and onion. Then I added the milk, water, and potato flakes to that mixture to constitute my "mashed potatoes". I followed the rest of the recipe pretty closely. I added a little more cheese, since we LOVE cheese. It was delicious! It tasted even better as leftovers today since everything had more time to mingle. Yum!

I also made a quiche for breakfast the other day, but I wasn't as fond of it.

Do you have any favorite "leftover" recipes that you love?

No comments: