Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sniffle Me Timbers

Every limb aches.
I have a chapped face.
My nose is running.
My whole body's bumming.
My mind is wondering...
Who gave me this cold??

It really doesn't matter.

The fact is: It's here to stay. Just a short visit, hopefully.

After sneezing all day and feeling generally miserable, I got to thinking...

Since there is no cure for viruses such as the common cold...

What could make me as comfortable as possible in this moment?

  • Hot Shower (Steve's recommendation for most aches and pains)
    Before I jumped in, I threw a towel and my favorite pj's in the dryer!
    Got the water a little hotter than is comfortable to first touch.
    Slowly eased myself in. Nothing like 20 minutes in a sauna! Or 30 mins...
  • Keeping Up Appearances
    I've found I feel better when I look better.
    I got dressed today and went out in the sunshine. Rare in Oregon!
    I hate pokey legs in bed... A quick shave does wonders.
    Slathering on some good lotion feels great after a hot shower too.
    Keeping up on my facial moisturizing routine helps prevent chapping.
  • Cleanliness is next to...
    Keeping a trash bag near me to throw my tissues in is HUGE.
    Saves energy. Keeps everyone else healthy. Even I feel healthier.
    My house doesn't have to cave in, though my body feels like it is. ;)
  • Don't Be Cheap
    I tend to splurge more when I'm sick.
    Pre-made soup rather than homemade. Just tried Bear Creek. Fabulous!
    Kleenex instead of T.P. I've learned: Dab, don't wipe. Much softer!
    I also splurge on fudgsicles... They are my special "sicky" treat.
    The cold helps the inflammation in my sinuses go down. As does ice water.
    But fudgsicles taste better. ;)
  • R&R
    Nothing beats extra rest and sleep... Cozying up in bed is my favorite.
    A good book makes it even better.
    When my eyes are too tired and strained to read, I like Hulu or Netflix (subscription).

Speaking of rest and sleep... I think I'm ready to crash for the night.

What helps you feel more comfortable when you have a bad cold?

For some reason this Lawrence Welk song ran through my head and made me think of feeling so safe and comfy in my bed as a child...

Goodnight, goodnight, until we meet again
Adios, Au revoir, Auf wiedersehn 'til then.
And though it's always sweet sorrow to part
You know you'll always remain in my heart.

Good night, sleep tight, and pleasant dreams to you.
Here's a wish and a prayer that every dream comes true.
And now, 'til we meet again,
Adios, Au revoir, Auf wiedersehn!
Goodnight!!

Listen on Grooveshark!

No comments: