Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Re: 25 Things To Do Before Turning 26

My 26th birthday is in 1 week and 2 days. The countdown has begun!

This reminded me of my oft forgotten To-Do List. So, here is a recap! Let's see what I have accomplished and what else I can accomplish in 1 week and 1 day before we reach the deadline: 26! Deadline... That's cheery.
  • Lose 50 lbs! (exercise, eat right, positive thinking)

    I think I am closer to having gained 50 lbs than having lost! However... Since I never recorded my starting weight, nobody knows, but me! And Steve... And God... Guess what's going on next year's list!

  • Eat at least one salad per day - I don't like salad. :P

    Correction: I really don't like salad. Next month's menus include a whole lot more salad and veggies though. I won't count it off quite yet. It still needs doing.

  • Shoot, Print, Matte, and Frame one of my own photos. I can still do this!

  • Spend a healthy weekend at Crater Lake. I was sick when we went to Bend...

    Not happening this year.

  • Visit Mt. Hood and make a snowball.

    Still not happening this year.

  • Hike 8 miles at Opal Creek.

    Really not happening this year.

  • Say “NO” without regret.

    I probably learned this a little too well! haha

  • Kiss my niece and make her smile. Praise and hug my nephew for being an amazing kid!

    Such an incredible accomplishment! I LOVE those kids!!

  • Spend a girls' afternoon with Jules.

    Amazing! While it wasn't an entire afternoon with just the two of us, having coffee with Julie and just talking was such a gift. I thank the Lord for the opportunity to fly 2,000 miles to do this!

  • Get a job, even part-time or temporary.

    I truly didn't think I would accomplish this! However, I had a part-time job for 13 months. I almost discounted that since it was just babysitting in my home. Yet it brought in helpful amounts of revenue and made me feel purposeful. I also am volunteering once a week at the Humane Society. Very fulfilling work.

  • Finish my H.R. Degree courses.

    A good, yet frustrating note. I won't finish by my birthday, but I only have ONE course left! I'm super excited!!

  • Have at least 10 girls' nights out with Kari S.

    Ten may have been a lofty goal, but we have hung out a lot more often and we recently spent 5-6 hours sculpting a cake and enjoying each other's company. Looking forward to many more! She's an awesome woman!

  • Regain my self-confidence. (take medicines, exercise, eat right, be the "real" me)

    I wasn't going to count this either, but I looked over the last year and have seen really good progress. I'm not always self-concious in public. I've reduced my medications! Huge accomplishment to me. I'm exercising. I have also stepped out into more conspicuous roles, even into a leadership role.

  • Memorize 10 amazing songs on piano.

    I've been learning a lot more songs, but not memorizing them. They're pretty involved for my amateur fingers and musical mind!

  • Attend a concert. I watched Natalie Grant sing "Held" live. How touching! I cried! I was also introduced to Mary Mary. Definitely out of my "white girl" realm, but I loved it!

  • Sew decorative pillows for my bed. I have everything, I just never finish projects!

    I DO finish projects! I can say that after sewing my butt off the last few weeks! The pillows, however, are still in the same bag they came home in. I still have a week to finish one!

  • Designate a weekly date night with Steve & stick to it.

    haha I finished half! This one is more difficult because it includes working with someone else - namely my busy husband. We have had some amazing dates, even if not weekly. I think we may go to monthly for the next year.

  • Pray about and find a place to serve at church.

    God answered this in a huge way. Along with the ladies of Mt. Olive Missionary Baptist Church, I have been a part of an amazing monthly women's bible study. Praise, God! He has met our needs in so many ways. We have grown as women of God and as members of our local church body. Our October meeting is this Saturday. Pray for me to lead well, and for God to touch each woman's life. A special "Thank You" to my amazing dad who prompted and encouraged me to put this on my list and accomplish it. I love you, dad!

  • Seek God - - daily time in the Word & prayer.

    I wonder if I'll ever accomplish this in my lifetime as a regular habit. It feels like an insurmountable hurdle in my daily life and my spiritual growth. But God gives more grace!

    "You're cheating on God. If all you want is your own way, flirting with the world every chance you get, you end up enemies of God and his way. And do you suppose God doesn't care? The proverb has it that "he's a fiercely jealous lover." And what he gives in love is far better than anything else you'll find. It's common knowledge that "God goes against the willful proud; God gives grace to the willing humble." James 4:4-6 The Message

  • Ask for help without feeling guilty.

    Still a struggle, but it's so relieving and rewarding to know I don't have to do it all alone! In many cases, I'm not meant to!

  • Only cook full dinners twice a week – small suppers other nights.

    I love to cook. Period. =)

  • Create a budget & be financially accountable - - dedicate to eliminating debt!!

    Two words: recurring struggle. Another one of those things I wonder if it is possible at all... We have made a TON of headway on our debt, but we still feel so far from our goals. Can I say I completed it? No. Have WE completed it? I'll give us half. ;)

  • Find JOY on difficult days. No self-pity!

    This was a rough one, having come through some really tough illnesses and physical struggles. It can be almost impossible not to ask "Why me, God?". I am constantly learning to find joy in the growth opportunities God chooses to set before me, and to say, "Here I am, God! Choose me!"

  • Make an effort once monthly to reach out to siblings who are distant.

    This is one thing I truly regret neglecting. A whole year of relationship down the tubes. I can't get those chances back, but I can take hold of each new one in the coming days, weeks, and year! I have an incredible family, and it is entirely my loss to neglect those relationships.

  • Give Steve personal space. Encourage him to achieve goals. Give him something to chase. ;)

    Oh boy! How I've regretted accomplishing this one at times!! I think my friend Kari regrets it as well! Sorry, Kari! haha However... I love seeing Steve passionate about something, even if it causes him headaches and blood loss. I know he'll be so stoked when his 1976 Honda TL 125 "Tilly the Hun" is restored. So will I! =)

    Do you keep a list of goals you would like to accomplish in your life? What are goals that you have found worthy to list and/or rewarding to accomplish? I would love some ideas for my "26 Things To Accomplish Before Turning 27" list for the next year! It will be published in 1 week and 2 days!! I'm excited!



  • No comments: