Monday, March 8, 2010

Chinese Food @ Home

I've been so addicted to stir-fry lately. I feel like I can't get enough. Maybe it's the warmer weather or maybe it's just spring fever and all of the colors in the produce department at the store... Whatever it is, it has delicious results. I discovered Lee Kum Kee products and their Panda Brand sauce packets. They are ingenious and taste amazing! In our stir-fry, I generally use broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, onions, and green or red bell peppers. If I'm making it for company or a special occasion, I'll splurge for water chesnuts, bamboo shoots, and snap peas. If it's orange chicken, I throw in some pineapple chunks.

For Orange chicken, I cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes and then toss it lightly in cornstarch. Then I stir-fry the chicken in some EVOO (extra-virgin olive oil) and push it to the sides of the wok once it's cooked for about 2-3 minutes. Then I add the broccoli and peppers and stir-fry them for a minute or two. Then I add carrots and onions because they are thinner and take less time to cook. I push each addition to the sides after it has cooked, making a well in the middle for the next ingredients. I add pineapple last.



Once everything has cooked until it's almost al-dente, I add the sauce to the middle and stir it in until everything is coated. Then I let it simmer for about two minutes until everything is warmed through. If you start the rice right after you prep the veggies, it should be done just in time. What's your favorite stir-fry?

No comments: